Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tip of the Month: Paint Stripping

One question I always seem to get asked is how to strip paint from minis.


Easy.  Just an overnight soak in Castrol Super Clean brake fluid will remove paint from any miniature whether its plastic, resin, or metal.


Now a word to the wise for anyone thats going to do this.  Commit this to your memory, write it down, tatoo it on your forearm:
brake FLUID  FLUID  FLUID FLUID!!!

The last person who I told this to wanted to strip a Land Raider of what he thought was a bad paint job.  So I told him the very same thing above.  So what did he do?  He used brake cleaner. 


After the overnight soak, he was left with a glob of molten plastic that probably could be molded into an Epic size Land Raider.  So much for that.


Once it is soaked, use an old toothbrush to get rid of those hard to reach areas and your model will look good as new, ready for new paint.  (Let it dry first)

3 comments:

  1. I just stumbled onto your blog, I enjoy the scenery and terrain building aspects of the hobby. I have a question for you about this post. Are you talking about Super Clean, a degreaser product found in many automotive departments? I personally use Super Clean degreaser for all my paint stripping, but the product I buy does not mention brakes anywhere on it. Check out a post on my blog and let me know if we are talking about the same stuff http://warfrog.blogspot.com/2011/08/saving-ebay-finds-part-2.html

    Thanks
    Warfrog

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you rinse the brake fluid off of the models? Does it just drain off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just rinse with warm water. You could add dishsoap but its not necessary. Use an old toothbrush to get the hard to reach places. Let dry and its ready for primer and paint.

    ReplyDelete